“The economic success of the Western world is a product of its moral philosophy and practice. The economic results are better because the moral philosophy is superior. It is superior because it starts with the individual, with his uniqueness, his responsibility, and his capacity to choose….Choice is the essence of ethics: if there were no choice, there would be no ethics, no good, no evil; good and evil have meaning only insofar as man is free to choose.” Margaret Thatcher, 1977
I believe that the great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do. This is about Margaret Thatcher: the longest-serving (1979–1990) Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of the 20th century and the only woman ever to have held the post.
A short history, when she came into office the United Kingdom was not so powerful as today:
– Most of the people were employed by the state
– There were a lor of strikes
– The union’s leaders were very powerful and corruption was flourishing
– Youngsters were leaving the country and going in the USA to find better work conditions and better economy
She changed all that:
– She freed up markets to increase national wealth
– She cut almost all social care coming from the state
– She ended strikes
– She ended the powerful leadership of the unions
She turned it all into “A free economic system” which “not only guarantees the freedom of each individual citizen, it is the surest way to increase the prosperity of the nation as a whole.”
Where she found all that strength?
Born a Libra, but with another dominant Sign: Scorpio! She was a Rising Scorpio and born with a Saturn in Scorpio. Scorpio as a dominant Sign means that you are a strong and astute person, complicated and passionate, sometimes destructive and intolerant, but strong-willed, tough and daring.
So many qualities and dangers combined in one person! And that was Margaret Thatcher!